The movie witnessed significant hype during its pre-release phase due to the film being the third collaboration with Ajith and director Siva. Vedalam proved to be a “Blockbuster” at the box office earning figures way above the prices it was sold for. With Siva and Ajith proving to be a successive duo with Vedalam, Vivegam released with high prices and great hype. But after a grand opening at the box office, Vivegam’s numbers started to reveal drops.
Tamil Nadu Box Office Performance
- 1st Day - 16.35 crores
- 1st Weekend Total (4 Days) - 43.50 crores
- 1st Extended Week Total (8 Days) - 52 crores
- 11 Days Total - 57.95 crores
- 2 Weeks Total (15 Days) - 60.85 crores
- 18 Days Total - 63.3 crores
- 3 Weeks Total (22 Days) - 64.5 crores
- 4 Weeks Total (29 Days) - 65.9 crores
- Closing - 66.15 crores
Vivegam started to show unfavorable numbers from the beginning of its run itself hinting the movie had unsupportive word of mouth. From a first week gross of 52.5 crores, Vivegam was only able to gross 8.85 crores in its second week (83% drop). After the great drop in its second week, Vivegam continued its run at a slow pace. The movie found it difficult to break-even for many distributors.
Despite the losses, Vivegam is Ajith Kumar’s highest grossing film at the global box office. The new hiked ticket prices (GST) helped the movie to set records for Ajith in many territories. Siva’s directional is the highest grossing Ajith film in Karnataka, Andhra/TS, North America, the Middle East, Singapore (In Local Currency), Australia, France, and other small European territories.
Extra Box Office Notes
- Ajith’s second highest grosser in Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
- 9th highest grossing film in Tamil Nadu.
- Chennai City Gross - 10.04 Cr
- Chengalpet Circuit Gross - 14.5 Cr+.
- Coimbatore Circuit Gross - 11.5 Cr+.
- Overseas Gross - $5.32M.
- Approx. Tamil Nadu Distributor Share - 39.90 Crores.
- Approx. Tamil Nadu Nett - 53.53 Crores.
- First Ajith film to gross over 120 crores worldwide.
- 2nd highest grossing Tamil film this year after Baahubali 2.
- Closing Global Total - 122.50 crores.
||Amount in Cr
|Rest of India
||Amount in Cr
|Rest of Europe
|Rest of the World