After the success of Janatha Garage, much was expected out of Jr. Ntr. Theatrical rights amounted to nearly 85 crores for Jai Lava Kusa. The movie was able to have a grand opening at the box office and continued with success over the first week. After the second weekend, Jai Lava Kusa’s numbers hinted that the movie will close below Janatha Garage, resulting in a decent amount of losses for distributors and exhibitors. This ensured movie will close with the “Average” verdict.
A decent number of areas turned out to be profitable despite the majority of areas having losses. Thanks to the ticket hike in Tamil Nadu (Due to GST), Jai Lava Kusa was able to take full advantage of it and grossed nearly 2.7 crores over the course of 2 weeks in the state. The movie is the third highest grossing Telugu film after Baahubali 2 and Baahubali in the state (When considering only Telugu versions of Telugu films). Jr. Ntr’s film was also profitable in North India with the opening supporting the film’s success. Australia, Europe, Singapore, and other small overseas territories put up great numbers for a Jr. NTR film and became the actor’s highest grossers in those territories surpassing Janatha Garage.
Jai Lava Kusa was able to prove Jr. Ntr’s healthy position in the Telugu market post Janatha Garage. He can be even be declared as the 3rd most bankable Telugu star for stake holders after Chiranjeevi and Pawan Kalyan (For a big actor). Despite Jai Lava Kusa being a “Average” at the box office, trade can start to expect big numbers from Jr. Ntr’s upcoming films.
Despite the positives of Jai Lava Kusa’s run, one cannot hide the fact that the movie caused significant losses for the majority of its buyers. Including P&P costs, the movie has esimtated losses near 14 crores to distributors alone.
Jai Lava Kusa finished with a global gross of 123.87 crores becoming Jr. Ntr’s 2nd highest grosser, 9th highest Telugu grosser, and 20th highest South Indian grosser.
- Holds a Distributor Share near 54.82 crores in Andhra/TS including Fixed Hires and etc.
- Karnataka Distributor Share - 7.20 crores including 1.55 crore fixed hires.
- Tamil Nadu Distributor Share - 1.08 crores.
- Rest of India Distributor Share - 0.90 crores.
- Overseas Distributor Share - 7.05 crores.
- Total Worldwide Distributor Share - 71.05 crores.
- Total Worldwide Theatrical Rights Valued at aprrox. 85 crores.
- USA Gross of 10.25 crores includes Non-Rentrak reported numbers (All Estimated). Rentrak reported approximately 10.1 crores.
- Overseas Total in USD - $2.31M.
- Total Worldwide Gross - 123.87 crores.
- Total Worldwide Gross in the traditional approach (When Fixed Hires affect total gross numbers.) - 135 crores.
||Amount in Cr
|Rest of India
||Amount in Cr
|Rest of Europe
|Rest of the World